Dynamic Structures and Materials, LLC (DSM) specializes in the development and application of micropositioning and nanopositioning devices. DSM works in all industries and enjoys strong customer and partner relationships with commercial, government agencies, national laboratories, and academic institutions. DSM welcomes the opportunity to evaluate your precision motion requirements.
DSM's Core Competencies
Specialty Actuator and Stage Design
- Active/smart materials (piezoelectric, shape memory alloy)
- Flexure-based, solid-state piezo actuators optimized by FEA
- Designs for constrained geometries and restrictive environments (non-magnetic, vacuum, high-temperature, shock-resistant)
- Application-dependent integration of piezoelectric or traditional electromagnetic technologies
Controls Design and Custom Electronics
- PC-based and stand-alone closed-loop motion control with custom power and amplifier electronics for driving capacitive loads
- Multi-axis motion control with sub-micron and nanometer-level positioning resolution
- Sensor implementation for force and position control
System Integration and Machine Design
- Custom hardware, software and electronics for turnkey solutions to unique engineering challenges
- Precision robotic systems and machine designs for single- and multi-axis control
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR)
DSM is an active and successful participant in the Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs, which fund high-risk advanced technology that will help America maintain its competitive edge in the global marketplace.
Since the company's founding in 1998, DSM been awarded 32 SBIR/STTR applied R&D contracts from U.S. government agencies. As a result, DSM's commercialization of the technologies stemming from these contracts has produced several million dollars more in revenue primarily from developments related to unique piezoelectric positioning systems.